internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 12:18:42 -0500

If I knew voting libertarian or 'none of the above' would do something I would, but as it stands now I'm going to have to vote Democrat

As long as people who don't REALLY support the Demopublicans
keep voting for them, things are never going to change. Forget
that "wasted vote" stuff... every vote for a 3rd party candidate
counts, even if that candidate doesn't win.

Here's an example for ya: Most states have fairly restrictive
ballott access laws, designed to keep 3rd party candidates OFF
the ballots. Gee, wonder why? Anyway, every year 3rd parties have
to spend large parts of their budgets on petition drives just to
get on the ballots. However, those ballot access restrictions are
usually based on the percentage of votes for that party in the previous
years election.

So, if in 2000 you voted for a Liberatarian or Green candidate
and they lost, but your vote helped get that party automatic
ballot access in 2002, there's a better chance of that party
winning in 2002, because they can spend more time and money
on the actual campaign, instead of trying to get on the ballot.

Also, the more votes the 3rd parties get, the more credibility
they gain, which will result in more people deciding it IS
worthwhile to vote for them. But it has to start somewhere.

<rant>
And besides, let's face it... like Ralph Nader said "there's
not a nickel's worth of difference between the Democrats and
Republicans." IMHO they're all corrupt, power-hungry, egotistical
crooks. You think there's any practical difference in Joe Democrat
and Joe Republican once they get elected to office? Phhhffftt...
Right... (no pun intended). All of these guys have one
agenda and one agenda only, and that's to look out for what's
in their own best interest.
</rant>

TTYL,

Phil

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org