internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Frye, Matthew" <Matthew.Frye AT rexhealth.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:36:13 -0500

I guess I'm middle of the road, but my beliefs aren't the point. It
seems like a lot of America is spending a lot of time (and money) reacting.
That is, we're worried about the urgent, but not the important. We want to
enforce this law and that law, but don't think about how each law or
subsequent interpretations of those laws affect our fellow human beings.
Do I think gay people should have the right to marry? I think that
they have the right to be happy. If that means that the meaning of the word
"marriage" is changing, then it might be. Such things are known to happen
in the English language. However, the meaning of the word isn't as
important as the recognition in society, and I think that's what gay people
want. A little respect and equality. If we stop to think about what
people mean to us, instead of what we think of what they're doing, then we
might be able to see through this fog a little more clearly.
Consider what America might feel if every person had an outted gay
family member. I think people would want their family members to be happy
and wouldn't be so quick to condemn and litigate.

Just my thoughts,
MPF