internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Dan Wilson" <sipacate AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 13:43:33 -0500

<snip>

However, the meaning of the word isn't as

important as the recognition in society, and I think that's what gay people

want. A little respect and equality.

</snip>

You know, I wrote earlier that people can be gay all they want, as long as I don't have to hear about it. I've been thinking about that some. Here's what I've come up with:

In this country there are hundreds of little classifications for people, gay, african-american, democrat etc....

Each group feels the need to announce their differences and then fight triumphantly towards some agenda. loudly proclaiming their chosen slogans.  Well, perhaps I don't need to know the sexual orientation of someone. This might seem a little out of line, but what if I suddenly formed the group "Men who like to take women from behind".  Same principle right? Then I can announce to the world that I prefer taking women from behind.

Logically this would cause the population to polarize and to moralize about how this fits in with their personal/spiritual/etc  beliefs. Then I can claim I am being persecuted from those who disagree. We start coalitions, sign petitions, then the Government has to step in and spend tax dollars ensuring that the rights of those males who like taking women from behind are fully protected.  This will tie up the courts and consume all sorts of resources (paid for by you and me), but in the end, my rights, will be protected.

Now, if you are a logical person, you might say...   "Well your whole premise is silly. No one wants to know your sexual preference."

To that I say... Exactly!

I really don't want to know if someone is homosexual. It all seems so unnecessary. Perhaps we should all concentrate on being humans?

dw