internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <dianaduncan AT contentdb.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Interesting SWF on the gay marriage thing.
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:20:14 -0500

On Monday, Feb 23, 2004, at 11:09 US/Eastern, Lee Haslup wrote:

Diana Duncan wrote:

Intentions of people 50 years ago arguably are not applicable today. It's a different world every day, policies, attitudes and laws are expected [to adjust*] and should change with the world.

* I think this was what she meant.

A favorite uncle of mine once told a joke (at a wedding reception, as I recall) that comes to mind.
Q: What is the difference between Democrats and Republicans? A: Democrats never carry out their plans and Republicans are still carrying out plans made by their grandfathers.

He is an active, committed Democrat and he probably intended it more as a 'dig' at the Republicans. The wonderful thing about the joke is that it can be told with equal pleasure by both parties simply be reversing the order of the clauses to make the observation about the other party the punchline.

Yup, that's what I meant. Sorry for the awkward phrasing.

Funny joke! I like it just the way it is. :) Except "plans made by their fathers" may be more appropriate for our current president.

Lee, I also appreciate your attempts to explain the reasoning behind opposition to same-sex marriage. I don't agree with you, but at least now I have some clue as to what the reasons *are*.

Diana