internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Fwd: RTP business whines for cheap (and pretty) labor

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT gibbon.kungfumonkey.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Fwd: RTP business whines for cheap (and pretty) labor
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:10:32 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> So why did the Interpath ownership sell out to CP&L in the first place?
> Could it be that the business was "sunk" before that anyway, hence the
> desire to sell?

They were growing to fast without enough funding to grow at that rate.
The business was definately not sunk. It was supposed to be a merger. But
anyone that's been through one knows, there is no such thing. Someone
always buys someone else.

> There seem to be a lot of really smart people around here who used to
> work for Interpath. Which makes me wonder if they had a little too much
> technical expertise, and therefore too high a payroll, to be successful
> in the long run. Their business plan may never have been a successful
> one regardless of the sale to CP&L.

No, what effectively happened is that someone at CP&L started reading
trades and decided that an ISP wasn't hot or IPOable. At the time
Interpath was the only Tier 1 ISP in North Carolina. They decided to run
it like a utility. You know arbitrarily set your prices because you have
no competition. Add this with adding layers of usless middle management
and a goal of reaching over 1000 employees before the end of the year.
Why? Because bigger is better and worth more. This is why CP&L/Progress
Energy owns more dark fiber than anyone else on the East Coast. There were
plenty of highly skilled people there who got the shaft because of rampant
mismanagement on CP&L's part.

--
Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com