internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] nc.rr.com

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Calvin Powers <calvin AT cspowers.com>
  • To: thomas AT tbeckett.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] nc.rr.com
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2004 15:13:33 -0500

Thomas Beckett wrote:

After several frustrating days of molasses-like Internet connection, I called TWC/Roadrunner to find out what the problem was. Turns out there is a region-wide "slow browsing" issue that has been going on since 12/31/2003. Their engineers are still working on it.

Five days and they still haven't figured it out! Thinking about DSL again, especially since we don't watch the TV anymore.

You might want to have the Roadrunner folks come out and physically test your cable modem. My father (in Charlotte) and been suffering from progressively slower and slower service, to the point where web browsing was unuseable. I was digging around his machine over the holidays and it appeared to me that the DNS server was failing intermittently. (sp?). So we called the toll free number and they RR people said noting was wrong on their end and from the probes they could do fromt he office, they didn't see anything wrong with the modem.

But they sent out a tech anyway. I was not there at the time. But My Dad reports that the tech blamed hardare failure at the cable modem. Something about the power supply was the wrong voltage and it wore the modem out eventually. Sounds kinda fishy to me. But in any case, he replaced my Dad's cable modem and it's been working great ever since.

FWIW.

TaB