internetworkers - Re: Why home phone service at all? RE: [internetworkers] TW Phone Service?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Why home phone service at all? RE: [internetworkers] TW Phone Service?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:04:50 -0500

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 10:04, K. Jo Garner wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> ->If you already have broadband Internet, and a cell phone, why have a
> ->home phone at all? I've been without a home phone for over a year now
>
> Because cell phones are nothing more than glorified CB radios.

Sorry for coming in late on this, but while you may be correct depending
on your definition of "glorified," I don't see how this affects my
argument. A telephone is a glorified telegraph. A telegraph is a
glorified Pony Express. A Pony Express is a glorified version of
walking the message there yourself. As we "glorify" technology by
making it MUCH better in many ways, our lifesytle improves. Are you
that much of a reactionary that you can't stand new technology?

Now, I agree there are problems with cell phones, the biggest one being
the issues of etiquette. A few months ago not only did a cell phone
ring at a movie I was seeing, but the person answered it and carried on
a long conversation, at full volume, despite being shushed by her
neighbors. It was not a fun experience, and I know this wasn't an
isolated incident. People certainly need to learn when to silence or
turn off their cell phones! I usually leave mine in the car whenever
going to a restaurant, movie, etc, so it doesn't interrupt, and I wish
everyone else would do the same.

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |