internetworkers - Re: Why home phone service at all? RE: [internetworkers] TW Phone Service?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "K. Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Why home phone service at all? RE: [internetworkers] TW Phone Service?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:20:58 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
->On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 10:04, K. Jo Garner wrote:
->> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
->> ->If you already have broadband Internet, and a cell phone, why have a
->> ->home phone at all? I've been without a home phone for over a year now
->>
->> Because cell phones are nothing more than glorified CB radios.
->>
->
->Sorry for coming in late on this, but while you may be correct depending
->on your definition of "glorified," I don't see how this affects my
->argument. A telephone is a glorified telegraph. A telegraph is a
->glorified Pony Express. A Pony Express is a glorified version of
->walking the message there yourself. As we "glorify" technology by
->making it MUCH better in many ways, our lifesytle improves. Are you
->that much of a reactionary that you can't stand new technology?

You tell me when I can carry on a two-way conversation, speaking *at the
same time* as the other party, when I'm on a cell phone - and have the
conversation be transmitted and understood - then, maybe, I'll be sold on
cell-phone-only service. CBs receive and transmit one-way (one party at a
time), which was my comparison.

That is what I meant.

Cheers
KJ