internetworkers - Re: Why home phone service at all? RE: [internetworkers] TW PhoneService?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Why home phone service at all? RE: [internetworkers] TW PhoneService?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 14:08:42 -0500

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 10:00, SJM wrote:

> > On Jan 7, 2004, at 8:31 PM, K. Jo Garner wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, Tom Boucher wrote:
> > > ->I don't recall having to say 'breaker one nine' or use a handle like
> > > ->'machead' every time I need to use my phone.
> > >
> > > No, but you sure as hell can't talk at the same time like you can on a
> > > land line.
> > >
> > I can on mine allt he time, conference calls, whatever. Just like my
> > land line.
> >

> If my cell phone gave me anywhere near the clarity and consistency of my
> land line, I would give up my land line. But it doesn't, so I don't. I
> suspect
> that's why many people keep their land lines.

I think it's coming -- not here yet for everyone, but coming. I live
adjacent to RTP, where there is obviously a big demand for cell phone
service, and I have near-perfect service most of the time. I do
occassionally have a problem getting a call connected around 5:00 to
6:00 pm, which is probably one of the busiest periods of the day for
cell phones in that area. Now, I realize that people in more
residential or rural areas may not get as high-quality service, but as
more people get cell phones it WILL pay for the companies to improve
their quality.

The one drawback to not having a land-line is that I can't use it for
dialup backup when my Earthlink/TWC cable Internet goes down. But I try
to remind myself to go for a bike ride or clean up the apartment or
something else when that happens. :-)

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |