internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] hey all you Mac people

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Joe Reid <jreid AT vnet.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] hey all you Mac people
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 17:09:36 -0600

Sarah Ovenall wrote:

I didn't know there were so many Mac users on this list. My G4 (running
system 10.1.5) has been acting weird since the power came back on: When
I shut it down, the light on the front of the computer stays on. Then
the only way to restart it is to reset the UPS -- the buttons on the
monitor and the computer do nothing. When it starts up, it makes a loud
beep and then starts in Open Firmware. Then I type "mac-boot" and it
starts up normally.

I tried resetting the PRAM, which didn't help. That's about the extent
of my troubleshooting abilities :) Any OS X guru who could help me out?

If the OpenFrimware is anything like Sun's OpenBootProm, if "something goes wrong" (TM) the diag-switch? environment variable will get set, and then your normal boot sequence is changed. printenv will print all the openbootprom parameters on a sun, Steve or Steve can you comment on Apple's Open Firmware?

--
Joe Reid
jreid AT vnet.net