internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] hey all you Mac people

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: burnett AT pobox.com
  • Cc: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] hey all you Mac people
  • Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:28:53 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Sarah Ovenall wrote:

> I didn't know there were so many Mac users on this list. My G4
> (running system 10.1.5) has been acting weird since the power came
> back on: When I shut it down, the light on the front of the computer
> stays on. Then the only way to restart it is to reset the UPS -- the
> buttons on the monitor and the computer do nothing. When it starts
> up, it makes a loud beep and then starts in Open Firmware. Then I
> type "mac-boot" and it starts up normally.
>
> I tried resetting the PRAM, which didn't help. That's about the
> extent of my troubleshooting abilities :) Any OS X guru who could
> help me out?

I'd suggest booting from the OS X System CDROM that came with your G4 and
running the Disk Utility's First Aid function first and see if that helps.
Then I'd suggest running the Hardware Test CD and seeing if it reports any
hardware problems.

--
Steve Burnett burnett AT pobox.com http://www.pobox.com/~burnett/
System Administration Technical Documentation Information Retrieval