internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] I love my Cube, but..

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Dan Caugherty <caffeine1 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] I love my Cube, but..
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:18:10 -0500

Thus spake Jason Tower:

with linux all things are possible.

now, i know jack about OS X and macs in general, but...

FreeBSD with a lickable UI and compatibility for the old MacOS.
In short, heaven.

1. you could stick the 80GB disk in a linux box, create partitions and
filesystems (don't know what filesystem OSX uses), mount it, and export it
via NFS. then you could access it from the mac via tcp/ip and nfs.

The problem is that OS X's boot partition must be HFS, and maybe
extended HFS, which Linux doesn't support last time I checked.

Otherwise, I'd install OS X on the 80 GB drive, slap the 20 GB drive
(or both) in our Linux box, and do the mother of cp's.

2. yank the 20GB disk and stick it in a linux box along with the 80GB disk.
use dd to copy the partitions.

Hmm. Intriguing. I'll do a "man dd" to see what it buys me.
(My big question: I know dd will do a raw copy from one device to
another, partition info and all, but do I get to play with my other 60MB later?)

i've always wanted to see the mac cube up close and personal since i like
small, quiet systems. if you would like help with this you're welcome to
come by my place (with a non-domestic six pack) and we can try some things
out, i've got all the necessary hardware to make it work.

Even more intriguing. Let me see what I can do on my own first.
(Maybe I got lucky and RH8.0 has better HFS support...)

Thanks,

Dan Caugherty, Software Engineer
115 Oakmist Drive, Cary NC 27513
919.380.7023 --- caffeine1 AT nc.rr.com