internetworkers - Re: collapse

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: B <beeline AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: collapse
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:47:37 -0400

About rebuilding...

There will be 16 or more acres of prime real estate in a prime real
estate market in the capital capitol of the world; no way it will remain
"open space."

However, when we do rebuild, I would love to see us build for the
future. I'm sure each and every one of you has access to the latest
Wired mag (9.10), check out "The Greening of Manhattan" in the Must Read
section.

Maria Winslow wrote:

> Not to mention the fact that prison in the US is relatively luxurious. They
> get to watch
> tv, play sports, read, get medical attention when needed....
>
> Medical Illustration wrote:
>
> > Not to sound paranoid & mean, but I have two problems with that
> >
> > 1. Life imprisonment seems too kind a sentence to me. This is a man who
> > probably feels that he was acting for a righteous cause, and succeeded in
> > his goal. Therefore he has that to strengthen him throughout whatever
> > hardships he encounters in prison. And if you truly want change, hardship
> > is often the only way to change someone's mind.
> > 2. What if he were to ever get out? What if a terrorist decided to
> > kidnap
> > a high ranking official, or highjack a plane, in order to get the said
> > person back? Then they have a live hero to praise, who has been
> > successful
> > at least once.
> >
> > Also, to think that prison doesn't have a similar effect to killing them
> > as
> > far as creating a martyr, does not seem logical to me. The person still
> > managed to successfully complete their mission. Now they are being
> > punished
> > by the big evil power. And to top it off, they're alive. What a hero!
> >
> > Though I won't argue about the effectiveness of the death penalty (which I
> > don't think can ever truly be measured- no matter how masterful you are
> > with
> > statistics & psychology) I would argue that if we start killing these
> > people, there will be some effectiveness. These people, though they are
> > evil, are fairly unique. They are singularly strong, charismatic, and
> > rich
> > leaders. That is part of the reason that they keep succeeding in their
> > goals, against whatever odds, with limited resources. Kill enough of them
> > before they can breed, and take advantage of natural selection.
> >
> > Drew

> > > Well, it worked with the embassy bombing suspects. One of the main
> > > defendants was captured in Pakistan and extracted to the U.S. Now he's
> > > in prison for life.
> > >
> > > TaB
> > >
> > > ---
> > > Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!
> > > http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
> > > You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: druid AT email.unc.edu
> > > $subst('Email.Unsub')
> > >

> > ---
> > Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!
> > http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
> > You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as:
> > maria.winslow AT dexxtra.com
>
> --
> Maria Winslow
> maria.winslow AT dexxtra.com

> [...]