internetworkers - Re: collapse

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: collapse
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 23:17:05 -0400

David Minton wrote:

> So I guess by this logic it is not worth attempting to prosecute them nor
> kill them, since both will only continue the cycle of terrorism?

If you stick to logic, yes. But I'm talking about something
irrational, like the rule of law.

Prosecuting Al Capone didn't stop John Gotti. Prosecuting one
shoplifter does not stop the next. Prosecuting David Koresh didn't stop
Timothy McVeigh. (Ooops, didn't prosecute Koresh.) Why do we bother?
Let's just exterminate all the shoplifters.

Fact is, in a civilized society we have standards of behavior, and
standards for what happens when they are breached. If we as a society
want to uphold the rule of law, then let's uphold the rule of law.
Let's not toss it out the window and go carpet-bombing some poor slobs
in a faraway place because they happen to live near some terrorists.

TaB