homestead - Re: [Homestead] Immigration Reform, 1986, was Irony

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Immigration Reform, 1986, was Irony
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 06:19:55 -0400

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Lynda <lurine AT com-pair.net> wrote:

> Rob, there is nothing in the law about what type of work the illegals were
> doing. The only qualification was length of stay and that it had to have
> begun no later than Jan. 1, 1982. Well, there were also stipulations such
> as no criminal behavior while in the U.S. There was nothing about
> agriculture as a qualifier.

My memory from the 80s, is tainted, I admit. I thought it had to do with ag,
but that date seems to ring true to me. I think that the reason that he got
the grove owners to give the documentation is that his restaurant was not
open 1/1/82.

I still admire that Sonny spent so much money to help get his people legal,
even though what he did was illegal.

Rob - Va

Rob - Va