homestead - Re: [Homestead] Irony

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Irony
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:13:09 -0800

Now see, that's one of the problems with these bi-lateral coastal discussions. Minimum wage out here IS $8/hr. So, working for Micky D's gets ya $8/hr. Most other places pay more than that. Also, we don't have weird laws like Oklahoma where if the company has 4 or less employees they can pay slave wages ($2/hr). Or a few other states where if you work as a waitress they can figure in the tips and pay you less because your tips bring you up to minimum wage.

And, except for a few very small mom & pop dairies, I've never seen one that isn't Grade A all the way. My fav are a couple in Sonoma and Marin (probably others but I know these guys) where the cows get on and the base turns and by the time they're done milking, they walk off into a different field. Hey, it's almost as cool as the house down in Marin that turns so you are always facing the sun.

Lynda
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are
to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theordore
Roosevelt, 1918.

Here, the kind of work you guys are talking about, shoveling manure from
horse stalls and dairy ops, landscaping, haybaling etc pays $8/hour to
cash workers and day laborers. The only minimum wage type jobs are in
retail and fast food. Grocery stores start at $8, too.

People have been migrating south for quite a number of years. Not only
do we have multiple seasons, but we have jobs, too.

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
No wonder they DON'T come to Tioga Co. PA!! I've been looking for 3 years
and can't find even a minimum wage job. I've applied for everything I've
found, and there are dozens of other applicants. I'll do anything except
work on a dairy farm (way too much work for minimum wage, and a split shift,
like 6-10am then 4-8pm)

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA