homestead - Re: [Homestead] Irony

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Irony
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:23:05 -0400

Lynda wrote:
Now see, that's one of the problems with these bi-lateral coastal discussions. Minimum wage out here IS $8/hr. So, working for Micky
D's gets ya $8/hr. Most other places pay more than that. Also, we
don't have weird laws like Oklahoma where if the company has 4 or
less employees they can pay slave wages ($2/hr). Or a few other
states where if you work as a waitress they can figure in the tips
and pay you less because your tips bring you up to minimum wage.

My son in law is a 'server' at Longhorns, read waiter, and he never
really gets a check at all. I'm not sure how they do it, but they allot
him a wage, then take out the required taxes and SS equal to that. Of
course, if you were to add up his tips, he makes much more. I don't
know how they do it, but I know that it is problematic when you are
trying to document income to qualify for a mortgage and great when you
need a student loan. :)

--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is
protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed