homestead - Re: [Homestead] Irony

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Irony
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 11:25:01 -0400

> We currently have laws. We don't need to do much in the way of changing
> them. We simply need to inforce them.

Our laws do not work. We as a country like to put laws into place and then
say "if we just enforce the law". An enforced law that does not work is a
waste of time. Look at our history with laws on prostitution and drugs. Our
immigration law is similar. It's based on a look at immigration through rose
colored glasses many years ago. It's not based on today.

> I'm sorry there are poor Salvadorans but if they can manage to put together
> $5,000, then they are a lot richer than a whole bunch of folks here
> *legally* in the U.S.

The fact that they are able to put $10,000 together, is amazing. Everyone
pitches in, extended family and family here. Mostly family already here (and
mostly legal). Then when they come here, they pay it back.

Imagine if the family here was able to sponsor the immigrant legally.

> Those coming to CA don't "grub for dirty work." They make lots more than
> $7/hr. Their fake IDs get them construction and landscaping jobs that
> begin, at minimum, $10 and go upwards to $30 plus an hour.

What I am saying is like prostitution and drugs, make it legal and regulate
it.

> We have an immigration policy that worked quite well for years. People got
> sponsors and had to have a job waiting. It is NOT realistic to think we
> can
> cure the worlds problems. The U.S. has reached a saturation point and it
> is
> time to rethink the whole speech on the statue of liberty.

No, it does not work well and it has not. I remember in Tampa in the 1980s,
the Reagan years and there was an amnesty for illegals that had worked
in agriculture for a period of time. The owner of the restaurant I worked at
had at least 20 illegals working there. They were important to his business
and he took good care of them. He paid orange grove owner buddies of his
thousands for false paperwork saying that those people had been working in
the groves.

I assume that this went on all over the country. A bunch of Reagan
conservatives made thousands of dollars on a program that they "despised".

Redoing our immigration law so that we can manage the influx of people along
with securing our borders will make a non-issue of the strain of illegals on
our economy.

Rob - Va