homestead - Re: [Homestead] Talk about disrespect! now czars..very long

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Talk about disrespect! now czars..very long
  • Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 16:54:07 -0400

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Bev; I completely agree about the 'czar' stuff...it's a way around the check and balances built into the government (and I REALLY hate the term 'czar'). I don't like the direction this administration is taking (and it isn't even the 'socialilst' part I don't like...I think he's alienating both the left and the right).

Unfortunately, I, too, believe he is alienating people and not
successfully finding the middle of the road. He is all over the place
like a child with ADD who can't stay focused on one thing, acts
inappropriately at times, and never finishes a task. Sure he is smart,
but he MUST start leading and stop campaigning.

But I wonder what Obama could possibly say that people could find frightening enough that they don't want their children to hear it. It
amazes me that people are so paranoid and have so little faith in 1)
the President to not hypnotize their children and 2) their children
not to listen and become mindless Hitler-zombies or whatever it is they fear. I have faith that my children are open-minded enough to listen and independent-thinking enough to make up their own minds about the merits of what Obama says. Critical thinking and free speech, not fear and censorship, are the key to having a first-class
citizens.

I agree with you, and for the record, I'd have no problem with my kids
attending, but like others here have said, I'd want to watch, too, to
be aware of what was said so that I might provide a counterpoint view if
I thought it was necessary. Kids see all kids of objectionable crap on
TV, so the President is bound to do better than Bart Simpson. If adults
make a big deal of it, then kids will likely take away the wrong
message. If adults treat it respectfully and discuss it with their
children, then chances are next week the kids will have forgotten it
anyway and will be on to the next cool thing to talk about.

However, the Cold War generation is still alive and kicking-old
'communist' fears die hard, especially when one of the last remaining
superpowers is Communist and thriving, while our Capitalist Republic is
struggling. There is still the Boogeyman factor at work here. People
forget that most of the time, the Boogeyman isn't quite as scary in
reality as he is in our nightmares. If it weren't for the sanity of
some on this list, I would fear the Boogeyman more, too. Hearing the
opposing view here keeps things in balance. Together, we can blend
ideas and hopefully come up with a plan of action that is of benefit to
us all, IF we listen to each other and if everyone participates and
shares their concern and point of view.

Bev
--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is
protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed