homestead - Re: [Homestead] Talk about disrespect!

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Talk about disrespect!
  • Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:48:33 -0800

Wellllll, Reagan didn't actually speak "nation-wide" to schools. He did a sort of town hall thing with students with question and answer session that was televised on C-Span and ITN. It took place in the State Dining Room at the White House and students from several schools were there and asked questions.

I'm sure it's on the net somewhere. O.K., so I went and found it http://www.reagan.utexas.edu/archives/speeches/1988/111488c.htm

Bush Sr. did a teleconference during the National Space Science Symposium and he also took questions from students. He also did an anti-drug speech.

Both of those were totally voluntary and didn't come with a prepared agenda for teachers to use to push an agenda. Now, he has *supposedly* dropped some of what he was going to be pushing but it remains to be seen.

Lynda
All politicians should be limited to two terms: one in office, one in jail.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>>

I can't believe the fuss about President Obama's speech to school children! People claim he's 'indoctrinating' children (we all know about the 'mind control vibes' broadcasts send out), and tell parents to take their children out of school that day because children "shouldn't be required" to listen to the president. What message does THAT send to children? To me, to refuse to even let your children listen is total disrespect to the office of the President (and disrespectful of the children; not letting them form their own opinions).

Reagan and Bush Sr. both spoke nation-wide to schools. Reagan's was apparently very political, laced with how he cut taxes, etc. Was there this kind of protest over his speech (I was out of school and didn't have kids yet, so I'm clueless)? What has this country come to?

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA