homestead - Re: [Homestead] The future of eldercare in the US

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The future of eldercare in the US
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 13:27:49 EDT

> >My point is just that you cannot think the 25 dollars per month they
> charge per person actually pays for their health care system.

That's certainly true, most of the money comes from taxes of some sort or
the other. But the US spends 17% of its GDP on health care with a
significant portion of its citizens not receiving any. Canada spends 9.7% of
its
GDP and all citizens are covered.

The US government already pays 48% of all health care in the US through
Medicare, Medicaid, VA, Military, and other such programs. Also because of
rising numbers of uninsured because of the deepening recession, some groups
are
putting the estimate at 18%. This isn't entirely mathmatically sound, but
that leaves only 34% of the health care costs that are paid by some private
insurance plan. I belive contributors to this thread have well established
that government programs cost less per person covered than do private
programs. Taking this as whole, we are paying a huge, HUGE percent of our
GDP
for privately funded medical services that in the end only cover some ot the
expense for some of the people.

James