homestead - Re: [Homestead] The future of eldercare in the US

  • From: Gil White <gil.white AT xplornet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The future of eldercare in the US
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 17:40:35 +0000 (GMT)

And as always there's bit and pieces of truth on both sides.

As a Canuck, I would agree with Drew that the $100 a month from my BC
neighbour doesn't cover the cost of healthcare, it's a premium charged the
individual family over and above what the tax system pays for.

At the same time our tax includes a portion for university education - even
though Canadian students are always complaining about the cost of University
tuition - is only about 25% of the actual cost.

I remember hearing a fairly good radio documentaty ( did I mention we have a
great public radio network ) that compared a family of 4 living in Montreal
to a family of 4 living in Boston - roughtly equal sized cities. When
everything was thrown in - and I mean health insurance, university education,
municipal services like water and hydro the tax versus income were just about
the same.

Now I will admit that so called higher ( cough cough ) education and
insurance were optional for the American couple but I think that's a cost
that most Canadians are willing to live with and a number of Americans are
probably paying for it anyway.

We have our own fringe lunatics to deal with - like the Canadian Medical
Association which I believe doctors have to belong to here to practice
medicine and another group that believe the tax payer should be paying for
all private grade schools whether ethnic or religious based, but for the most
part our federal government seems to act more like a referree and less like
favouring one side or the other.

To slightly change the direction I was in Bangalore, India last summer for 2
weeks on business. The daily paper was full of stories that I would call
petty bribery - an inspector turning his head while a contractor extended a
building into a park, zoning bylaws being ignored, that kind of thing.

I almost never see that stuff reported either here or when I've been to the
US. I can't help wonder if the Indian press was better at digging up dirt or
do the bribes just go to the upper reaches over here?

Gil