homestead - Re: [Homestead] Has anyone heard about this?

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Has anyone heard about this?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:00:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hyperinflation is out of control inflation...

Hpyerinflation is generally defined as inflation exceeding 50% per month.

I've seen a lot of comments that food prices doubled over the last year.  So
that would be 100% / 12 - or 8% per month.... food didn't approach the
hyperinflation rate last year under that metric.

That's mild compared to some of hyperinflation rates seen in history...

"The Post-WWII hyperinflation of Hungary held the record for the most extreme
monthly inflation rate ever — 41,900,000,000,000,000% (4.19 × 1016%) for
July, 1946, amounting to prices doubling every thirteen and half hours.

By comparison, recent figures (as of 14 November 2008) estimate Zimbabwe's
annual inflation rate at 89.7 sextillion (1021) percent. [11], which
corresponds to a monthly rate of 5473%, and a half-life of about five days."

That's the kind of hyper-inflation rate I'm talking about....

The kind where producers of goods can't sell their products for a price high
enough to purchase replacement parts to make the next round of goods.  The
kind where if you bought a tire 2 years ago for $129, and it blew in a
serious hyperinflation, a replacement would cost  $300 next month, $600 the
following month, and later exponentially higher.... etc.

Yes your mortgage (and any other debt) will be minisculed percentage wise in
hyperinflation, and wages will go up, but not necessarily keep up.
Allegedly, the winners in hypeinflation are those who are in debt (today) up
to their eyeballs, and who use inflated wages to pay off the debt.

There's only so much you can cut back unless you are close to James' level of
self-sufficiency, to the extent that I know what that is... which I believe
is going to be a very important goal.

For instance, if I had to, I could walk down the road for miles and find a
specific plant that can be used for toilet paper, but how many in the cities
can do that - or would even consider it?  LOL.  Ethics having deteriorated to
the extent that they have... makes me think food isn't going to be the only
thing the city types will be stealing when shortages start.  :-)   LOL I can
see the headline now,,,, Man killed by robber over roll of toilet paper.

The ones who want the hyperinflation are the saavy stock & commidity traders.
They will keep up with hyperinflation better than most.

Ask yourself this............ what can't you cut back.  That is more
important.... and stock up on those items.