homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling fight in NC

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling fight in NC
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:09:17 -0400

The way I see this is that the question that the judge had to answer is
'what is in the best interest of the child/children'?. It is at that
point he falls into the conservative-liberal trap. Being liberal, he
naturally tended to pull the situation back left towards middle ground,
(homeschooling is generally thought of as a conservative venture) but
overshot a 'fair' solution and ends up with a very liberal-minded
solution. This 'unfairness' offends and threatens other homeschooling
conservatives because the judge's agenda/ruling/solution/ideology is
backed by the administration. This is not the actions of some errant or
isolated judge in a hick town somewhere.
Methinks there might be a lot more to this story that is not reported,
but that doesn't change my opinion that the judge overstepped his
authority. He could have simply denied support and ordered joint
custody without mandating public school. I'm not familiar with this
Sound Doctrine Church, but obviously some people believe it is a cult.
If the judge believed that, he may have mandated school as a means of
separating the children from what is in his view a cult influence. If
that were his true motivation, and I personally think it might be, then
his comments also make more sense. My feeling is that he was trying not
to be judgmental of another adult's religion, but perhaps saw this as a
middle ground??
I'm ambivalent about it, so maybe he was too???

DSanner106 AT aol.com wrote:
I tend to agree Rob, and without knowing their income situations, it
is hard to judge this ourselves from the sidelines.