homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling fight in NC

  • From: Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling fight in NC
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:32:14 -0500

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Lynda <lurine AT com-pair.net> wrote:
> I was talking about religions in general, "different" religions
> specifically.  I don't worry about religions that don't do the celebrating.

Oh, I agree with that.

> However, there's where part of the problem is.  You aren't "denying" them
> anything.  Those religions simply aren't participating in what has become
> one big industry.  Yes, families "can" celebrate but "most" don't.  Folks on
> this list, in general, would be the exceptions.

I've never seen a good head count of who celebrates and who doesn't.
Without living in people's pockets, I don't think we know what "most"
people do. My coworkers aren't that unusual, but I don't see any of
them going overboard except at Christmas -- and even then they don't
seem to overdo it (except in comparison to moi for whom Christmas and
Easter were religious holidays celebrated by going to church and
having dinner with the extended family, and who hasn't much changed
her ways except to drop the going to church part). Honestly, I'm not
sure how exceptional we are. Maybe it's a Midwestern thing.

> The whole mindset that not doing birthdays or Christmas, which isn't even
> really Christian to begin with, is somehow "denying" kids is part of the
> whole consummerism thing that has been taught and pushed in the U.S. to the
> breaking point.

It is if they're used to having a birthday cake and candles and being
made over on their special day. If they never had that experience,
then they wouldn't miss it. The origins of Christmas are a moot point:
it's been a Christian celebration now for several centuries (though
maybe not so much these days). Easter is even more pagan, but it still
works for Christians.

> And, I don't judge these religions/cults based on not doing birthdays or
> other celebrations.  I base it on the hair suit aspect.  I can see the
> father and husbands concerns over that "church."

I can agree with that. Not to mention beating children, which is right
out. Anyone who uses a rod on a three-month-old baby deserves a
special place in hell, which ought to start before they depart this
life.

Marie