homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling fight in NC

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling fight in NC
  • Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 01:55:51 -0400

Lisa, no one is really picking on Democrats-just stating facts, I think.
You just can't have it both ways. One of the reasons people voted
Obama and the Democrats into power was for the promise of improved
educational systems and reform. You know this because you are one of
those going back to school and hoping for a bit of help(I think).
The President supports education from birth to adulthood, but the
'notion' of homeschool doesn't fit in the plan because it does not offer
enough control. Most recently he even said that kids should have more
school, more hours, year round.
Democrats and Obama are pushing a reform of NCLB, meaning more
assessments, more BS testing, more mainstreaming and fewer charter
schools or specialized schools. They want a uniform product, not a
maverick or independent thinker like a homeschooled kid. They want the
school to be a grand community center, so anyone who would choose not to
participate would be an anti-social pariah. The school day would be
12-15 hours long, reducing the time and influence of the parent, and
increasing conformity. These concepts oppose those of homeschooling,
and since the Democratic Judge obviously agrees with the President and
most of the country, homeschoolers, both Republican and Democratic and
Indies, are just plain SOL.

Bev

Lynda wrote:

As to the reference to Dems, the party is generally working hand in glove with the NEA. Public school is their god.

I don't understand why it matters if the Judge is a Democrat or not. I skimmed the article so might have missed something. Wasn't sure if that was quoted directly from a newspaper article or not. I
know many so-called liberal Dem's who homeschool (including my family). FWIW, this kind of stuff happens now and again regardless
of what political flavor a family might be--or the Judge.

View the archives at: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/homestead