homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden fun

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden fun
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 21:01:30 -0600

I start mine inside on January 6th and I'm between Zone 8a-8b and transplant them in March. I have direct seeded before though. They are slow to germinate, sometimes 20 days, that's why I start so early. My seed was too old, none of it came up.

From your posts, it sounds like you and I have planted all the rest of the veggies at the same time. My list is almost identical to yours. So far, our weather is warmer than usual. Maybe yours is still cool enough to start them outside? I think you will like leeks. I like their architectural form.

Miso is a fermented paste from soy, barley, wheat, combinations thereof. I use it instead of broth for soup bases, or for vegetable glaze. It's usually refrigerated in the deli case in tubs or bags, and it keeps a long time in the fridge.

--Sage

EarthNSky wrote:
Thanks everyone for the leeks info. James' analogy with the peppers makes sense. I may try them next year. Sage, I've never had or tried miso, never seen it in the stores either. I scout the international sections pretty well, too. From what I read, buttery, salty, sounds like I would like it. So, if I start them from seed, and being in a short day area, when should I start them?

Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
Bev, Leeks are good cut lengthwise and broiled with carrots and a little miso sauce. I also cut them up to put into soups. But I don't use them raw like green onions. They don't taste the same to me. They are supposed to be for areas with longer day length, but I've had good luck with them in the past, growing them from seed. This year none of my seed came up, guess it was too old. Since I harvest the entire plant I don't think they are perennial, maybe someone else has had more experience with them.--Sage

EarthNSky wrote:
Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

I've got flats of Ailsa Craig and Walla Walla onions and Leeks started.