homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden fun

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden fun
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 18:56:33 -0600

Bev, Leeks are good cut lengthwise and broiled with carrots and a little miso sauce. I also cut them up to put into soups. But I don't use them raw like green onions. They don't taste the same to me. They are supposed to be for areas with longer day length, but I've had good luck with them in the past, growing them from seed. This year none of my seed came up, guess it was too old. Since I harvest the entire plant I don't think they are perennial, maybe someone else has had more experience with them.--Sage

EarthNSky wrote:
Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

I've got flats of Ailsa Craig and Walla Walla onions and Leeks started.

Just curious, I know that leeks are like mild onions. What do you use leeks in that a green onion wouldn't work? Did that make sense? I've never really tried leeks, I don't think. I am starting to like onions now, but don't understand why leeks are popular. I recall a discussion here a long time ago about ramps and leeks and onions...seems that they perennialize? If someone can refresh my memory on that..

So tell me why I might grow leeks...