homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden fun

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden fun
  • Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 18:26:29 -0500

I think I should have started my onions a lot earlier. Next year, I'll start both onions and leeks in January. I appreciate the germination tip and the info on miso. I would have never looked in the deli case, so I probably missed it. I'll be sure to check that next time I hit the store. It really does sound like something I would like.
I posted a few new garden pictures on MySpace in the Garden 2009 folder. It is not much to look at right now and in some pics the transplants are hard to see, but in a month or so, I think it will look like a true garden.
http://www.myspace.com/tervetuloa13

Today, DH and I prepped the semi-formal herb/kitchen garden. I actually have a few plants in one of the beds now. I have lemon thyme, lemon balm, chives and some crocuses that I transplanted from the naturalized ones in the yard. Tomorrow, I'll plant my new Gala apple and transplant some of my other herbs into the new bed. I'll get some new batteries and take more pics tomorrow.

Bev

Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
I start mine inside on January 6th and I'm between Zone 8a-8b and transplant them in March. I have direct seeded before though. They are slow to germinate, sometimes 20 days, that's why I start so early. My seed was too old, none of it came up.

From your posts, it sounds like you and I have planted all the rest of the veggies at the same time. My list is almost identical to yours. So far, our weather is warmer than usual. Maybe yours is still cool enough to start them outside? I think you will like leeks. I like their architectural form.

Miso is a fermented paste from soy, barley, wheat, combinations thereof. I use it instead of broth for soup bases, or for vegetable glaze. It's usually refrigerated in the deli case in tubs or bags, and it keeps a long time in the fridge.

--Sage

--
I am having an out-of-money experience.
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/