homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden fun

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden fun
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 18:59:42 EST

> >I think I should have started my onions a lot earlier. Next year, I'll
> start both onions and leeks in January.

For those nice pencil thick onion slips, you need to start the plants in late
October or early November. You can get feasible onions starting that plants
from seed any time up to July (for fall onions anywhere from scallions to
golfball sized). Even if your oinion plants are hair thin in late March,
plant
them any way. I've gotten 4" onions from seed grown slips that were no
bigger
than (uncooked) spaghetti in June. Not always, maybe not even most of the
time, but it does happen.

Besides a great big onion on a hamburger from time to time, I've grown
unimpressed with huge onions. Much more prone to spoilage and since most of
our
storage onions are dehydrated (tops and all most of the time), I really don't
care how big they are.

James