homestead - [Homestead] Garden fun

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Garden fun
  • Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 17:40:22 -0500

Today I transplanted the mustard plants into a raised bed. I also
transplanted my Chinese Cabbage and Pak Choi as well as the Packman
Broccoli into the garden beds. I will finish transplanting the Decicco
broccoli and the cauliflower tomorrow. Also on the agenda for tomorrow
is to sow my squash, gourds, cukes, spinach, and lettuces. I have a few
tomatoes ready for their first transplant(the cherry toms are ready) as
well. I pretty excited to finally see some tomato seedlings. I've got
Caspian Pink, Abraham Lincoln, Cherokee Purple, Roma, and Sausage
seedlings. For the pepper side, the only seedlings are the Anaheims,
but it looks like the Alma paprikas are about to break out. I've got a
nice flat of Red burgundy onions that probably should be transplanted.
I've never grown onion from seed before so I am not sure when they can
go to the ground. Right now, the 'leaves' are about 3 inches long.
I'm hoping, with this warmer weather arriving, that my English peas,
Snow peas, and radishes will germinate(actually a few peas have broken
ground already) and the seedling lettuces will really start growing.
The yellow onion sets and the garlic I planted last fall are starting to
stand up, grow, and look like green onions now.
Some things appear to be slower than usual. My potato vines have not
escaped the first tire yet, and the strawberries are still so small they
are lost in the mulch. Some of the cauliflower I originally set out did
not make it through this last cold snap. Cauliflower is a bit less
hardy than broccoli, I think. I'm not too concerned if I don't get good
results from my brassicas as I will always have the Fall garden to make
up for lost plants. I have a second shot at it.

Today I also cleaned out the nasty, wet ashes from our trash burner. I
have a separate compost pile just for such stuff. We burn our box
trash and junk mail, but no plastic. It composts fine.

I had a bit of a scare this afternoon, too. I had just come in when I
got a phone call from my folks who were in town. They said they could
see smoke out near my house(it is about 15 air miles away). I looked
out, but couldn't see anything. The sky was brilliant blue. A few
minutes later, I could see what looked like a thick white cloud coming
over the mountain to the west of me. I immediately called the Forest
Service to make sure they were aware and luckily it was a controlled
'wildlife' burn on the National Forest just on the other side of the
ridge from me. Whew! A sigh of relief came over me. When you live in
the woods, wildfires are always a concern.

--
I am having an out-of-money experience.
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/