homestead - [Homestead] Goats Kidding

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Goats Kidding
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 21:48:17 -0500

Maybe I'll get a picture up this weekend. I've had 3 of my 5 goats
kid. The other one is probably due next week and the other maybe in
May. I've had good luck with everyone being healthy; bad luck with sex
of the kids.

I have 3 milk goats and two Boer doelings that I kept from my meat
goat herd. All bred to my Nubian buck of excellent milking heritage.
Of the two milkers that kidded, one had a buck and a doe kid, the
other two bucklings. Shame cause I wanted to add a few milkers. One of
the Boer does kidded and of course, she had two doelings. I could milk
them, but usually the Boers don't have the easiest teats to work with
and don't give a lot of milk. Course, these girls will be half Nubian,
so maybe they will work out. I'd of rather got a couple of Boer cross
bucklings for slaughter. I could slaughter the girls, but it's always
tempting to breed them or sell them to add to someone's herd.

Anyway, my old red goat may come through for me next week. She's a
good milker and a nice girl. I'm holding out for a couple of girls
from her. The one little doe I got off my other milker is cute as a
button. And on the good side, I can eat these little boys in a couple
of months and not worry about having to compete with kids for milk!

Rob - Va