homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garden fun

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garden fun
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 19:53:21 -0500

Cock-a-leekie soup. It's hard to describe how it's different than regular chicken soup with onion, but it IS different. I love leeks. I use leeks in soups and stews, or sauteed as a side dish with butter. I've read that some people harvest them small, like green onions, but around here, the bigger the better.

They like cool temperatures, so I don't think they'd do well in the south in the summer. Maybe as a winter crop? If you keep leeks a second year, they will go to seed, like onions.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA