homestead - Re: [Homestead] [Homestead=trees/fencing

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [Homestead=trees/fencing
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 01:02:47 -0500

Robert Walton wrote:

Last weekend, I set posts, stretched the wire and made it all permanent. That's good for the garden.

Fencing is a big cost, both in $$ and labor. I'm lucky that I have a
decent supply of cedar in the woods for posts. Cedar posts are
pretty reasonable if you need to buy a few also.

Cedar is popular for fencing in these parts, too. Additionally, people
acquire telephone poles, cut them up, and use them for the gateposts,
corner posts and stretcher posts. I think we paid $15 each for three
poles a few years back after the tornado did some damage here. We made
a meat pole out of one, one carried power to the barn, and the other
carries power from the house to the workshop. Had we bought them for
fencing, and assuming we cut them into 6 ft sections, we could have
easily gotten 4 or 5 posts from each pole. I think that is pretty
reasonable, even if you paid $25/pole.

Bev

--
EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia