homestead - Re: [Homestead] [Homestead=trees/fencing

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [Homestead=trees/fencing
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 10:32:33 -0500

Seriously, other than for show (and they are attractive), do people still construct and use stone fences for fencing in/out animals?

I know of people who use existing stone walls, and repair them as needed. I haven't heard of anyone recently building the miles of stone walls like they used to for animals. If anyone is, thry probably don't have time to report about it on the internet :-)

The Nearings constructed slipform stone/concrete walls that are faster and stronger. It takes fewer stones, but you need concrete.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA