homestead - Re: [Homestead] Too quiet

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Too quiet
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:26:39 -0500

> So far my conclusion is that manure from horse barns reeking with urea,
> amonia, and all other forms of nitrogen decomposes far faster than sawdust
> or wood
> shavings without it.

I've found that, too. The one woman that has the horse manure does a
good job of picking out the turds and leaving the shavings until they
are really soaked with urine. Then she cleans out the whole stall and
starts again. The shavings break right down, cause of all the urine.

Some people are real fast to clean out the shavings. That takes a
while to break down.

I just got back from the new people and they have about 3 or 4 more
truckloads of really nice, well rotten manure. It's primo stuff, full
of worms on this very cold morning. I'm going for another load later
today.

The man was really concerned about how I loaded the manure. Another
guy had just taken a load off the top and left about a foot of manure
on the ground from where he loaded it. Owner would like it cleaned up
completely as I go. I made sure that I did a really nice job off
taking off the pile, so where I took from is completely clean. Told
the owner I want to be his regular manure guy.

Rob - Va