homestead - Re: [Homestead] [Homestead=trees/fencing

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [Homestead=trees/fencing
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 09:51:37 -0800

Ah, Bob, they wouldn't get far if they tried eating through the azaleas, rhodies or oleanders. They are poisonous and aren't recommended as animal containment fencing. You can ask my neighbors whose goats decided to try eating my rhodies!

You're thinking topiary, not espaliering for the shrubs that are grown into animal shapes.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bobf" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

Van Dell, maybe the word you are looking for is 'Espalier'. I don't know how it would work with hedges as fences. The one thing about the osage ornage is the spiners. I doubt many anuimals and probably no liovestock could get through. I've seen very thick and tall hedge fences of everything from Azaleas to oleanders , but I would suppose some animals could eventually eat through those, osgage orange is not pleanant to encounter , even a couple of bushes at the time. I have an old book somewhere, where espalier techniques are used to make shrubbery look like 'things' (animals, etc.)

Someone else will probably have an answer before my post pops up. I'm notic9ing from an hour to several hours lag between when I post and when it appears on the list. I would like to learn more about natural fencing if you learn of a good site or other reference.