homestead - Re: [Homestead] Too quiet

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Too quiet
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:49:29 EST

> >Some people are real fast to clean out the shavings. That takes a
> while to break down.

My good fortune is to be dealing with a very frugal barn owner. The wood
chips and shavings are decidedly ripe when they are shoveled out. What I get
is
around 50% - 60% apples and the rest really reeking chips. Removing the
first
shovelful makes the amonia send you reeling.

>Owner would like it cleaned up > completely as I go. I made sure that I did
> a really nice job off taking off the pile, so where I took from is
> completely clean. Told
> the owner I want to be his regular manure guy.

At the other barn the owner would come down when he'd see me and offer to use
his front end loader to fill up the truck. I'd get some good, some new, some
waterlogged manure ... and a bit of his real estate in the form of blue clay
which I already have plenty of.

So I began to beg off saying I did not want to interrupt his work, he's a
typical Appalachian man who would ruin himself to help you out. I took one
of
those big Formex muck tubs and a shovel and I filled the tub and emptied it
into
the truck. On a good day I'd have the S10 overflowing in about half an hour
but I'd have the primo of the primo stuff. The well rotted stuff isn't all
that heavy.

James