homestead - Re: [Homestead] [Homestead=trees/fencing

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] [Homestead=trees/fencing
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 04:24:23 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for your comments in both posts regarding this subject. I still like
the idea of 'natural' impemnetrable fences (prichly osage orange, as an
example); but, if it worked well, farmers would have them all over instead of
destroying them as pests.

What you said about knowing up front before the labor and expense of
permanent fencing, makes a lot of sesnse. Actually, I would think al;most
all fencing (except around small trees) would be permanent.

Fencing is one of those areas where it seems that someone could "build a
better mousetrap" for the small farmer. Woven wire seems to be preferred
now, but it is labor intensive, expensive, and not tall enough to protect
against deer (and maybe goats?). My backyard fence is concrete block and
seven foot tall (5.5 on the sides and 6 on the front). I guess stone fences
in new england would be the rural equivalent. Way too expensive for size.