homestead - Re: [Homestead] Coyotes

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Coyotes
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 08:54:03 -0800

The Borzoi only took out dogs/coyotes that the Aussies sounded the alarm on. Everyone had dogs around us (300 acre dairy to the south of us, a cow/calf operation to the north of us, both with working dogs) and we had dogs. No problem.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Frank Fries" <frank.fries AT imagewireless.ca>

Actually was quite interested in the description of the Borzoi...googled
them..

Sounds like they would keep coyotes thinned down in the immediate vicinity
(which is all I want - they have their place keeping mice, gophers, etc in
check) but as my spouse suggested, they likely would not stop there.

I have one neighbor who is quite close and they have a blue heeler cross
that is basically well behaved and comes quite close to our house with her
cows (but on the opposite side of the fence).....Wouldn't make for good
neighbors if I had a dog that killed their dog ... even though they would
like the thin the coyote idea....Neil and Shannon have lost a few chickens
and at least 1 calf to coyotes.