homestead - Re: [Homestead] Coyotes

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Coyotes
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:16:47 -0800

Our's had become citified, I guess you'd say. They were quite aggressive. The two Aussies (mother and daughter) worked as a pair protecting the flock but with a pack working, it takes an army of guardians. They are good. Plus we had tons of FiFi and Precious dogs that the owners always sworn hadn't done a thing even when caught with blood on them. Shooting wasn't an option since they work in between the critters. They get gun smart real fast.

And, yes, they are getting quite big. While the local ones here don't weigh the 90 pounds that Tuff-E does, they are as tall or taller. Here we don't have them working in packs, just in pairs. We're rural enough that they haven't become as aggressive as the ones down south. Should they get aggressive we'll get another Borzoi.

However, around here we have the mountain lion problem. Friends have a goat herd and Anatolians but they are having to buy more dogs because the mountain lions seem to stay in a family group for a couple of years and work the herds that way. They just had the hunter up and he got the young male but didn't get the mother and the other cubs from this year. They also had llamas with the herd and the cats took out the llamas too.

Now, the guy who raises sheep that youngest buys her market lambs from raises geese as mountain lion food. Seems as long as he has lots of ducks and geese around, the coyotes and mountain lions are happy campers and leave his lambs alone.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>

Anatolians (and other LGD) don't run predators down. They stay with
their herd and fight, if necessary, in place. If you have two working
as a team, one may go out to a predator, while the other stays back
with the herd. In parts of the country where large predators are being
reintroduced (wolves and big cats, mostly) people are upping the
number of LGD.

Our coyotes aren't that aggressive yet (though they're big --
certainly over 30 inches at the shoulder -- so I'm happy with two.

Marie