homestead - Re: [Homestead] Coyotes

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Coyotes
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 05:29:37 -0800 (PST)

The size of coyotes has to do with the 'feast or famine' deal with any
particular year, doesan't it? They generally look like dogs, until you start
paying attention to more than just the outline, and they like to stalk around
with their heads hanging close to the ground. The d*mn things come right up
in the city, here, and take people puppy dogs and kitty cats.

I admire coyotes -- I don't like them, necessarily-- bit I do admire them.
Cattlemen ,here, tried to poison them out of existence, after they tired of
trapping them, and there are probably more now than ever.

Where I grew up, when I grew up, near Bev and Jeanne, I had never seen or
heard of anyone seeing a coyote in the woods. My brothers all say the woods
are full of them now.

I think bev had it at least partially right. There are far fewer hunters and
trappers. But, also, eradication ways of past, like poisoning, aren't
tolerated anymore.

Fences and dogs are probably the best preventive measures someone, today,
could take. You can shoot the ones you see, but they multiply like rabbits

--- On Thu, 1/22/09, Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com> wrote:

Our coyotes aren't that aggressive yet (though they're big --certainly over
30 inches at the shoulder -- so I'm happy with two.