homestead - Re: [Homestead] Coyotes

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Coyotes
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 23:19:34 -0800

Too true! With coyotes, you need to be both pro-active and reactive. They are super smart, super adaptive.

Our Aussies stayed with the sheep and raised the alarm. However, the coyotes quickly figure out how to take down one end of a herd while the other end is being protected by the dogs. The Borzoi killed the coyotes. They made a very effective team, the three girls -- Maggie May, Candy Bear and Just Plain Kate <g>

They couldn't outrun Kate and Borzoi don't fight, they kill on the run. After a few months the coyotes moved on to other places. They don't stay around where they can't win.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>

The baby rabbit call is fine until they figure it out. You can shoot
coyotes (well, the slow learners anyhow) all day, and still have
plenty of survivors who can go forth and repopulate.

I have nothing against shooting coyotes, but it's not terribly
effective in protecting livestock.