homestead - Re: [Homestead] Coyotes

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Coyotes
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 00:16:53 -0500

Hi Frank, Wussie Southerner here(of course, from your perspective, we
are all Southerners..lol)
We have a large coyote population, too. Like you, I see them when they
are far away and it is so fleeting that there is no time to do anything.
I did have a big one prance down my driveway once...glad I was
inside..thought it was a wolf at first! (We don't have wolves here,
thankfully, but I hear they are re-introducing them a bit north of here)
Most folks around here shoot them if they can, but I do know that at
least two people trap them. Trapping is illegal and risky for your own
dog and other dogs/wildlife, so I don't recommend that or poisoning.
Sadly, I can tell you that if you get poultry, you will bring them in
closer. The ones around here specifically seem to prefer ducks. I've
lost one duck to the neighbors dog, the rest to coyotes. Next time I
get ducks, I want Muscovy ducks again so they can fly up and get away
from the coyotes. I only lost one lamb, I think, to a coyote, but that
was before I got my Pyrs. Here, coyotes can jump and clear a 4 ft fence
like a deer. The last one I saw was chasing a deer and I first saw the
coyote running, then the deer about 150 feet ahead of it. Doe jumped
the fence into my pasture, and a second later, so did the coyote. After
seeing that, I don't think I would ever have sheep or goats again
without having a LGD. If you already have a Pyr, he is well capable of
taking out a coyote, but they are almost invincible in pairs. An
Anatolian would be another good choice. If your sheep are lambing this
time of year, those coyotes can smell it...make sure your dog(s) is out
there and bonded to those sheep!(less to you, more to the sheep) A good
LDG will also guard poultry should you choose to add it.
As to the reason for the increase in numbers, I think it is
simple...less people hunt..there are a lot of deer, a lot of squirrels,
raccoons, etc. Good Luck!

Bev

Frank Fries wrote:
Anyone have any "cute tricks" to keep coyotes away ?

Or alternatively, to trick them into coming in close ?

However there are quite a few left in the general area - anyone have
anything in particular that worked for tfhem ?

We were considering getting a few poultry this summer (chickens and
perhaps a few guineas) but we are kind of hesitant to in case it
encourages the coyotes to hang in the area even more.

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge