homestead - Re: [Homestead] Coyotes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Coyotes
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:55:47 -0700

On Jan 21, 2009, at 11:25 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:

I have nothing against shooting coyotes, but it's not terribly
effective in protecting livestock.

I suspect it is also not terribly effective in reducing area coyote populations. Nature always fills a void. Populations of all animals ebb and flow with food supply.

Two or three good dogs and well-fenced poultry are likely adequate protection for most homesteads. Consider that coyotes also keep down populations of various critters that you likely do not want in your garden, like rabbits, or in your house, like mice and rats.

Personally, I have always enjoyed their musical productions.

Gene GeRue
www.RURALIZE.com