homestead - Re: [Homestead] Winter..

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Winter..
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 08:51:38 -0800

We haven't really had winter here this year which is a major worry what with fires and what have you. We had a little snow around Christmas, and I mean a little, very little. We had rain for a couple of days and that's it! We've had some single digit temps which aren't the norm. 10 around here is considered way low and unusual. today we have fog which we normally don't get until spring. If this keeps up, and "they" say it will, then the folks in So. Cal are going to be in a world of hurt. No snow, no water to ship to them to waste!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <becida AT comcast.net>

Almost the middle of winter and my Homestead mailbox has almost 1400
messages in it. Several new names on the messages, it's good to see new people.

I was just wondering how folks were doing this winter. I was just
checking the temps of places I follow, down below zero in Bemidji MN
and even Key West and Maui are having some colder lows, well colder
for them anyway <g>. When you are used to 75-85 most of the year, the
low 60's is cold.
I looked at the high in Bemidji of +1 and thought about how good that
"+" felt after a week of minus temps, I don't miss that at all. We
are 1500 miles due west of where we lived in Minnesota (plus or minus
a minute or two in latitude) and I really like the effect of the
Pacific ocean on these temps <g>.
This last week I've seen a couple of pickups & pickup with a trailer
loaded up with small square bales of hay, several loads of firewood
and a couple of trailers with firewood for sale. Signs of winter out here.
It's below freezing here right now but dry. Just before Christmas we
had snow, more than we've had in 4 years. Down by the bay the snow
collapsed a bunch of hoop houses on a place, heavy sea level snow is
unusual for around here. The weather guessing are talking about snow
next week, we'll see.

I hope you are all doing well this winter, spring is just a 'few' weeks away.