homestead - Re: [Homestead] Coyotes

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Coyotes
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 18:19:20 -0800 (PST)

I know there are coyote here, and have seen on a few rare occassions a loan
coyote crossing the property.  The neighbor up the road (chickens, sheep,
cows) keeps a donkey to protect them.

I thought I heard something somewhat nearby last night and was wondering if
it was a coyote.  Note quite a wolf howl, but somewhat similar.

I went to town earlier this week and noticed 5 different carcass remains
along the road - they look ripped up pretty bad, not in the manner of being
hit by a car.  On one corner I got out and looked and there were actually 2
different animals, a cat for sure, and I'm not quite sure what the other
other was, could have been a dog, but the remaining fur didn't look like a
dog either.

I figure to protect the chickens I'm going to have to bury wire just under
the ground to keep them from digging under, and wire across the top to keep
them from jumping in.

--------

“All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way.
People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes,
and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome.
Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder
respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.” ~ George
Orwell