homestead - Re: [Homestead] Coyotes

  • From: Marie McHarry <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Coyotes
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:11:25 -0600

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 1:19 AM, Lynda <lurine AT com-pair.net> wrote:

> They couldn't outrun Kate and Borzoi don't fight, they kill on the run.
> After a few months the coyotes moved on to other places. They don't stay
> around where they can't win.

Anatolians (and other LGD) don't run predators down. They stay with
their herd and fight, if necessary, in place. If you have two working
as a team, one may go out to a predator, while the other stays back
with the herd. In parts of the country where large predators are being
reintroduced (wolves and big cats, mostly) people are upping the
number of LGD.

Our coyotes aren't that aggressive yet (though they're big --
certainly over 30 inches at the shoulder -- so I'm happy with two.

Marie