homestead - Re: [Homestead] Needing stuff like Glasses

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Needing stuff like Glasses
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 15:51:23 -0800

When I was 6 one of the neighborhood bullies threw a rock and it sliced across my cornea. *They* said I would be blind in that eye. When I was about 10, I started getting eye strain headaches, so somewhere around 12 I got glasses. The docs said that the injured eye had healed relatively well but that I had astrigmatism in that eye. *They* said at that time that I would be legally blind by the time I was 40 and that my peripheral vision would disappear. I also have real bad night blindness and *they* told my mother I'd never be able to get a drivers license unless it was restricted.

They were really peeved because I wouldn't wear them. The glasses made me sick. There was no way I could walk in them without getting nauseated and tripping and falling. *They* said I didn't try hard enough. So I wore them to go to the movies <g> and quit complaining about the headaches. I figured out that if I didn't read until midnight using a flashlight that I didn't get the headaches anymore <<bg>>

So, when I was about 25, I went in with the old pair of glasses to get some new ones because, hey, the ex's insurance covered everything, 100%, exam, frame, lenses AND tinting! The optomitrist kept asking me how old the glasses were that I brought in with me. Man didn't believe me when I told him I got them when I was 12. He checked everything THREE times! The prescription was the same as when I was 12!

Last time I went in to have a check up (had excellent insurance with the school district and it paid for everything), same prescription again. Again with the "right lady" looks. Same prescription. New frames are nice every now and again and getting the photogray. After a few years of forgetting them on the car dash the photogray kinda dies away.

The night blindness has worsened, big time! The rest of the vision is still the same. And my peripheral vision is beyond normal.

So, here I am well past the "you're going to be legally blind" age and still wearing the same glasses. Well, for driving at night and sometimes for watching t.v. The night driving is about nil but, hey, DH has to earn his keep somehow <g>

Lynda