homestead - Re: [Homestead] Carrots

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Carrots
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 18:51:35 EST

> >James, I so love to discover or to be occasionally reminded that you are
> not
> a perfect homesteader. I mean that in a very nice way, in case it comes
> across wrong.

That perfect homesteader drivel comes from people not being used to a
non-apologetic way of communicating. All told, the failures greatly outweigh
the
successes, but for the most part, they are not enlightening. The most common
garden scenario is the hoe working in some planting or the other with the
comment, "Screw that, that didn't work!" Most of the things I fail at, most
gardeners would have better sense than to try, or else it would not occur to
them at
all.

Most things aren't actually failures, though. An idea is developed and then
the results are evaluated along with the unforeseen consequences, and then
sometimes the decision is just, "Nay, all told it isn't really worth it."

> >Good to mull over. What don't you transplant? Thinking this is a smaller
> list for you.

I'd put that in three lists:

1. Always transplant

2. Never transplant

3. Sometimes transplant

Always of course includes the usual tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, and such,
but also includes all the brassicas including kale. It includes mustard,
turnips, beets, leeks, onions, and probably some others.

Never transplant is carrots.

Sometimes transplant is everything else. I grow some bean and corn seedlings
for very early crops in pots and transplant them. Sometimes squash,
cucumbers, melons, and the like are started in pots sometimes not.

> Seeds are planted on the far side of the ridge (understood not on the trough
> side where you water or add compost)?\\

Seeds right on the top of the ridge, right on the crest. With the hoe I make
the ridges 2" high and 4" apart (or so). Then I lay the handle of the hoe
down on the top of the ridge to make a little depression. In that I plant
the
seeds then crumble compost over it 1/4" or so. The big drawback is drying
out
as even the slightly raised ridge is much more prone to dehydration. In hot
weather I rig up a shade cloth over it (made of the feed store fiber sacks)
and
water the troughs religiously.

James